Friday, December 30, 2016

BOTOX Update

I am into my 10th week of my first round of BOTOX injections since March of 2014. I was afraid to try BOTOX again because the injections in 2014 made me feel worse. The doctor used a higher dose that caused me to lose feeling in my left leg and arm and the pain was excruciating when I tried to walk. I literally sat on my deck on a chair for two months crying most of the day. I was convinced by Dr. George Kukurin to try the BOTOX again to help me gain more flexibility in my neck muscles so that I could do my at-home therapy without struggling so much. It has provided relief from my symptoms and pain. Before the injections my pain level on a scale of 1-10 was about a 12. Now I am averaging around an 8. When I got the injections in October I only had them inject the right side of my neck because of my fear of the last round paralyzing my left side. This time I will try both sides and pray that it will provide more mobility and relief so that I can try to get back to some normal activities and gain some independence. Every day I do yoga and stretch along with my eye movement therapy. I work very hard at my recovery and I am learning to accept that the pain is part of my life and I need to learn how to live with it instead of spending my days trying to get rid of it.  The BOTOX has helped and I am thankful to have found a doctor who is willing to listen to my concerns and has compassion for my disorder. Dr. Timothy Lichlieter is the doctor who performs the BOTOX injections at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders. The other neurologist I see for medications is Dr. Susan Baser also at the same practice.